Below are answers to the most frequently asked technical questions from institutions seeking to purchase Terra Dotta software. Detailed information on any of these topics is available upon request.
- Is Terra Dotta PCI compliant?
- Following an exhaustive audit of our hosting services at our U.S. data center in Louisville, KY, we are pleased to announce that Terra Dotta is PCI certified. PCI DSS v3.0 is the latest security standard published by the Payment Card Industry for service providers and others who interact with online payment processes. For more on what PCI DSS certification means for Terra Dotta and its clients, click here.
- Will Terra Dotta software integrate with campus data systems?
- Many institutions using Terra Dotta software integrate their site with the various information systems on campus, such as any Student Information System, Human Resources Directory, or Secure Campus Login System, from major names like Banner, PeopleSoft, and Datatel to homegrown systems. Many interface options are available, including LDAP, CAS, Shibboleth, webservices and any other systems. Integrating with campus systems allows applicants to login to Terra Dotta software using their campus login credentials and pull the desired student information into the software to ensure that it’s accurate and complete.
- Can Terra Dotta software import legacy data?
- When implementing a new data system, it is important for offices to keep historical records intact. Terra Dotta clients can import this type of data into Terra Dotta software through a user-friendly data import tool.
- Will information remain secure?
- Terra Dotta software delivers information through both public and private interfaces. Database security and FERPA/HIPAA are crucial considerations in our development process and user-permissions system. Terra Dotta software security is thoroughly tested internally by Terra Dotta engineers and externally by WhiteHat Security.
- How is hosting handled?
- Terra Dotta hosting services allow clients to avoid the time and cost of procuring and supporting the servers and database needed to run Terra Dotta software. Terra Dotta servers are housed in a top-tier, SAS 70 Type II certified data center in Louisville, Kentucky. Terra Dotta is responsible for performing all server updates and maintenance on our hosted systems. This includes the server operating system and web server software, database software, backups, Terra Dotta software, and all hot-fixes, patches, and version upgrades.
- Can Terra Dotta software be installed on my servers?
- Most clients now opt to install their Terra Dotta software system using Terra Dotta Hosting Services. We strongly encourage this approach, given the cost savings and support benefits that our hosting provides. Read more about these benefits--including optimal software configuration, rapid implementation during the integration process, and early software patches--in our whitepaper: Terra Dotta Hosting Services. For more details, please visit our System Requirements page.
- Can graphic design be customized?
- The visual design elements of Terra Dotta software can be customized so that your site has a distinct look and feel.
- How easy is implementation?
- Once Terra Dotta software is purchased, an institution can begin implementation of their website content. The implementation stage can be completed in just a few weeks or may take several months, depending on program size, process complexity, and where you want to start in your application or program cycle. New clients are given a step-by-step guide that will walk them through the process of implementing the software. Terra Dotta also offers tips for project management and content-development services to help clients launch their new software as quickly as possible. An implementation timeline is available upon request.